Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The Missing Macaw




The Missing Macaw


Yesterday I got a frantic call from a dear friend who owned a scarlet macaw here in Ames. She and her bird had just moved and, as she sometimes did, she took him outside for a bit of a walk around the yard.

To make a long story short, at 4:25 something spooked the bird and he took off, flying up into the dense foliage of the neighborhood trees and was no where to be found. "B" called me immediately, worried sick and not knowing where to go or what to do. Could I provide some psychic help to find her bird "Charlie."

There was a bit of a weather front on the way yesterday afternoon, with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. We had to act fast.

I focused in on Charlie and realized that everything seemed to be from a very strange and scary vantage point to him. He was used to seeing everything from the ground....not from up in the canopy. He wasn't sure where home was by sight.

"B" had been calling and calling his name, but gotten no response. Again, I honed in on the bird and suddenly realized that he would come home if he HEARD familiar sounds that he normally associated with B and the house. It was 4:38 and I hastily gave her the following instructions:

"Get your boom box and the cds you normally play at home repeatedly. Put it on top of your car in the driveway and crank up the volume. Do it quick! And get Charlie's favorite treats and have them in your pocket. Charlie will be home within the hour, don't worry. He has to hear the familiar music to guide him back to the house. He's within 2 blocks of where you are but just doesn't know visually how to get home. He will follow the music! Look for him about 5 PM."

Twenty minutes later, at 4:58 I got a wonderful relieved and thankful call. Charlie indeed picked up on the familiar boom box tunes and came right back as soon as he heard the songs associated with home for him. B spotted him at three minutes to five when he flew closer to the ground and landed in a bush in the backyard near the driveway. She enticed him over with his favorite treats and took him back into the house safe and sound.

I was really really thankful Charlie had some home and been reunited with B! But I found myself also thanking the Universe for my abilities and that I could, when push came to shove, truly make an immediate difference.

Sometimes being a psychic can be stressful, draining, and downright exhausting. It is a job with huge variety, that I'll grant you...and actually, truth be told, that part I DO really, really like.

But it's little moments like today, that make me wanna say, "I really LOVE my job!"

No comments: