Sunday, March 09, 2008

Down time

Well, the cold and flu virus hit really hard yesterday afternoon into early evening, so I decided to get really proactive with it and fight back. Here's how this medical intuitive boosts her own immune system when she gets sick and what traditionally has worked to get me better faster. My own personal formula just for me when I get hit with something is this:

Vitamin C - I take a 500 mg time release capsule about every 3-4 hours.
Olive Leaf Extract as directed on the bottle
L-Lysine as directed on the bottle
Multi-vitamin with iron and minerals
Zinc lozenges if I have them...I will suck on one every 4 hours or so making sure I don't get more than 100 mg in any one day from all my sources.

Depending on how tight my chest has gotten, I often will drink some kind of breathe easier tea blend that I find at my local grocery or health food store. I sometimes alternate that with a green tea for the antioxidants.

I also spend all day with a silk scarf wrapped around my throat to keep it warmer and hopefully out of a bacteria's comfort zone temperature wise. I also keep sipping on various hot beverages throughout the day for that same reason. This usually amounts to lots of broth, tea, and hot water. I make the broth myself and use lots of onions and garlic as they tend to be good immune system boosters and as stuffed up as I am, it's something I can actually taste.

When my sinuses are plugged, I start the day with a really hot bath or shower and make sure I breath in lots of steam. It's not unusual to head into the bathroom and continue 20 minute steam treatments standing in the shower every three or four hours. Also, if I have a bottle of sterile saline (Ocean or Ayr) around, I'll clean out my sinuses several times a day to help make breathing easier.

For me, I like the good tissue with lotion in it because when I get sick I tend to drip, blow and sneeze more than most folks. It's part of spending a few more pennies to pamper myself when the crud hit's me. I rest a LOT. I honestly try to only do the few things I really need to and spend lots of time on the couch sitting upright to help with the drainage.

So, here I sit and type....scarf around my throat, silk robe still on from this morning, pajamas and hand knit wool socks on, slippers at my feet and a nice warm blanket tucked up as high as it will go. As I wipe yet another drip from my nose, I think I'll head into the kitchen soon for another cup of broth.

I plan on being better by Monday and better yet by Tuesday....that's my proactive take charge of my own health kind of thinking.

I think I might head to bed early this evening as well.

No comments: